New Year’s Day
New Year’s Day otherwise called as New year, Falls on January 1 of every year. It is the first day of the year in Gregorian Calendar and Julian Calendar. The day celebrated in honour of Janus, the God of gateways and beginning. The name January has derived from the word Janus. The name Janus has two faces one facing forward and one looking back. Celebrating the first day of the year in the month of January, Romans had made sacrifices to Janus by giving gifts and general revelry. The New Year’s Day is a public holiday in all countries around the world. With fireworks, the day will be celebrating with displays across the globe at 00.00 in their local time zones.
History of New Year’s Day
In 153BC The New Year had been celebrated in the country of Rome. Initially, the Newyear’s Day had been celebrated in the month of March. The second king of Rome named Numa Pontilius, added the month of January and February to bring the calendar to 12months. Then the New Year has moved from March to January in 153BC. Western Europe officially named 1st January as New Year’s Day before they adopted the Gregorian Calendar. Ahead of the adoption of the Gregorian calendar in 1752, Western Christian Feast of the Annunciation on March 25 is the first day of the year. “LadyDay” is the other name of that day.
At the time of Middle Ages, the lot of Christian feast dates were used to point the New Year’s Day even though calendars were used to display the months from January to December in the Roman Fashion of showing them in columns. There is a belief that modern tradition of Exchanging Gifts on the first day of the was started from the 7th century when the peoples of Netherlands and Flanders celebrated that Day.
“The New Year will stand before us, like a chapter in a book which is waiting to be written. We can help by writing that story by setting Goals.” – Melody Beattie.
Different countries will celebrate the New Year’s Day in Different ways, but most of the celebrations will start from December 31st by welcoming the New Year with an ecstatic countdown. In some of the countries like the US, Malaysia, Australia and France peoples will gather in one place to watch the fireworks as the New Year’s Day Begins.
How to celebrate New Year’s Day
Celebrating New Year is very simple and quite easy to remember. You can make noise in the form of Fireworks, by ringing the bells, blasting the horns or by pistol shots. At midnight You can kiss the person that you hope to kiss throughout the year. On the eve of December 31st peoples will revel in music, enjoy some liquor drinks and then dancing till the morning. Radio shows and TV Shows will organise some programs to remember the year gone and to welcome the New Year. Peoples can exchange gifts, Greeting Cards and messages as a part of the celebration. There is a tradition of Organising the Spengler Cup Ice Hockey Tournament finals on New Year’s Day. The Street party on that day is very famous in Scotland. You can use the tag #NewYear’sDay to post on social media.
Happy New Year’s Day Images
For more images Click Here
Happy New Year’s Day Quotes
- “To dress up current day in the threadbare garments of past day is to create an impoverished tomorrow.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough.
- “Because of Faith I am here today and faith are why I believe I can achieve something in my life.” – Jonathan Anthony Burkett.
- “Every New Year people will get you some presents but your best present you get never changes: Your existence. It is the best present to others.” – Mehmet Murat Ildan.
- “I used to have a toy, magic slate. You drew or wrote on it and then, just by pulling up the plastic cover, everything that you did disappear, and you could start new. Maybe everyone feels that on New Year’s Eve: They can pull up the magic sheet and rewrite their lives.” – V.C. Andrews.
- “New year is a day, where you can tune the pattern called SOUL, with the best chord named as EXPERIENCES and play the guitar called LIFE.” – Vikram.
- “You can get excited about the future. The past won’t mind.” – Hillary DePiano.
- “New Beginnings are in the order, and you are bound to feel some level of excitement as new chances come your way.” – Aulie Ice.
- “Life doesn’t have remote, so wake up and change it.” – Sushil Singh.
- “What the New Year brings to you will depend on a great deal on what you bring to the New Year.” – Vern McLellan.
- “ The Same mind with same old ideas enters the same past year; only the new mind with new ideas enters the New Year.” – Mehmet Murat Ildan.
For more quotes Click Here
There are nearly 1200 National Days, and you can celebrate every day with Happydays-365.com!